As a DJBooth staff writer, I learn something new every day. Well, not every day, but… some days, anyway. For example, did you know that iconic designer Ralph Lauren was born Ralph Lipshitz (he made the switch because he was tired of getting sh*t from his schoolmates)? On his latest feature, Smoke DZA reveals a fascination with fashion second only to his love of the ganja. Heavyweight producer Boi-1da mans the boards here, mixing chopped samples with boom-bap percussion as Smoke shows off his style, his swagger and his unmatched collection of Rugby gear: “Blowin’ hella grass, poppin’ yellow tags, with the navy blue stripe like ‘F*ck what you like’... “ And you’d better believe his kids have been sporting designer duds since they came out the womb. Superficial? Perhaps – but even the less fashion-savvy among us (including yours truly) should be able to appreciate the cut’s dope execution. Lifshitz isn’t scheduled for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but anyone who has yet to do so should check out his originally Booth-sponsored George Kush Da Button mixtape when it’s re-released soon for purchase.
Written by richard on 12/15/10
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.