As a DJBooth staff writer, I learn something new every day. Well, not every day, but… some days, anyway. For example, did you know that iconic designer Ralph Lauren was born Ralph Lipshitz (he made the switch because he was tired of getting sh*t from his schoolmates)? On his latest feature, Smoke DZA reveals a fascination with fashion second only to his love of the ganja. Heavyweight producer Boi-1da mans the boards here, mixing chopped samples with boom-bap percussion as Smoke shows off his style, his swagger and his unmatched collection of Rugby gear: “Blowin’ hella grass, poppin’ yellow tags, with the navy blue stripe like ‘F*ck what you like’... “ And you’d better believe his kids have been sporting designer duds since they came out the womb. Superficial? Perhaps – but even the less fashion-savvy among us (including yours truly) should be able to appreciate the cut’s dope execution. Lifshitz isn’t scheduled for inclusion on any forthcoming project, but anyone who has yet to do so should check out his originally Booth-sponsored George Kush Da Button mixtape when it’s re-released soon for purchase.
Written by richard on 12/15/10
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.