I know you all saw that renowned marijuana consumers Smoke DZA and Curren$y had a new song out titled Personal Party and were expecting a THC-laced tale of relaxation and good times – come on people, stop stereotyping! What, you think weed-fueled meditations on success and pleasure are the only things DZA and Spitta are interested in rhyming about? Really? Well….you’re completely right. V Don gives the duo a hazy, slowly circling beat to rhyme over that’s so high it’s out of NASA’s reach and DZA starts off the party with a late night ride that won’t even think of slowing down for red lights. Curren$y follows closely with a similarly themed 16 that pays particular attention to the female half of the species. Ok, so yes, marijuana does feature prominently on Personal Party, but those who truly listen will find some seriously deeper messages, and I expect the same to hold true for DZA’s upcoming, punnily-titled album Rolling Stoned. We’ll just have to wait until it drops this coming Tuesday, August 30, to find out for sure.
Written by Nathan S. on 08/25/11
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.