Let’s get a few things straight off the bat. Smoke DZA’s new single On The Corner isn’t a reference to acclaimed novel The Corner, or it’s offshoot HBO series. It’s also not a reference to Common’s The Corner or Charlottesville radio station, 106.1 The Corner. (Thanks Google!) Instead DZA’s heavily cinematic new single is about the hard reality for those who live, well, on the corner. Returning from 4Eva to do double duty behind the boards and on the mic is Big K.R.I.T., who laces a hazy, string-infused beat for his compatriots to tell their tales of ghetto life while also throwing in a solid hook. Those who only know DZA as a blunted emcee will be impressed by his lyricism here, and of course the Trill OG himself Bun B delivers a solid performance, painting a portrait of streets filled with candy-painted slabs. If The Corner was still on TV I think it’d have a new theme song. As is though, this will serve nicely as the lead single to DZA’s (of course) punnily-titled new album, Rolling Stoned, due out August 30.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/25/11
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.