Let’s get a few things straight off the bat. Smoke DZA’s new single On The Corner isn’t a reference to acclaimed novel The Corner, or it’s offshoot HBO series. It’s also not a reference to Common’s The Corner or Charlottesville radio station, 106.1 The Corner. (Thanks Google!) Instead DZA’s heavily cinematic new single is about the hard reality for those who live, well, on the corner. Returning from 4Eva to do double duty behind the boards and on the mic is Big K.R.I.T., who laces a hazy, string-infused beat for his compatriots to tell their tales of ghetto life while also throwing in a solid hook. Those who only know DZA as a blunted emcee will be impressed by his lyricism here, and of course the Trill OG himself Bun B delivers a solid performance, painting a portrait of streets filled with candy-painted slabs. If The Corner was still on TV I think it’d have a new theme song. As is though, this will serve nicely as the lead single to DZA’s (of course) punnily-titled new album, Rolling Stoned, due out August 30.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/25/11
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)