Let’s get a few things straight off the bat. Smoke DZA’s new single On The Corner isn’t a reference to acclaimed novel The Corner, or it’s offshoot HBO series. It’s also not a reference to Common’s The Corner or Charlottesville radio station, 106.1 The Corner. (Thanks Google!) Instead DZA’s heavily cinematic new single is about the hard reality for those who live, well, on the corner. Returning from 4Eva to do double duty behind the boards and on the mic is Big K.R.I.T., who laces a hazy, string-infused beat for his compatriots to tell their tales of ghetto life while also throwing in a solid hook. Those who only know DZA as a blunted emcee will be impressed by his lyricism here, and of course the Trill OG himself Bun B delivers a solid performance, painting a portrait of streets filled with candy-painted slabs. If The Corner was still on TV I think it’d have a new theme song. As is though, this will serve nicely as the lead single to DZA’s (of course) punnily-titled new album, Rolling Stoned, due out August 30.
Written by Nathan S. on 07/25/11
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.