While Smoke DZA does indeed have a gift for making people laugh—I maintain that the mixtape title George Kush Da Button is comedic gold—and a generally easygoing demeanor, his fun-loving, weed-smoking persona shouldn’t be misinterpreted as license to f**k with him; to paraphrase pro wrestler New Jack, the man’s an original gangsta, not an original prankster. On his latest single, released along with official visuals by Nicolas Heller, the Cinematic Music Group signee introduces us to the side of his persona normally reserved for those foolish enough to piss him off. Over project collaborator Harry Fraud‘s ominous street production (garnished with vocal samples from the famously ruthless ECW icon), the freestyle series alumnus flexes his lyrical muscles, in agile, intricately-rhymed bars. Taking aim at the competition, he spits, “The sh*t that I riddle should have me right in the middle, ‘cause some of these n*ggas ain’t even did what I did on the come-up.” Has this bruising selection left you craving more? If so, pre-order a copy of DZA’s forthcoming album, Rugby Thompson, set for release on June 19 .
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.