While Smoke DZA does indeed have a gift for making people laugh—I maintain that the mixtape title George Kush Da Button is comedic gold—and a generally easygoing demeanor, his fun-loving, weed-smoking persona shouldn’t be misinterpreted as license to f**k with him; to paraphrase pro wrestler New Jack, the man’s an original gangsta, not an original prankster. On his latest single, released along with official visuals by Nicolas Heller, the Cinematic Music Group signee introduces us to the side of his persona normally reserved for those foolish enough to piss him off. Over project collaborator Harry Fraud‘s ominous street production (garnished with vocal samples from the famously ruthless ECW icon), the freestyle series alumnus flexes his lyrical muscles, in agile, intricately-rhymed bars. Taking aim at the competition, he spits, “The sh*t that I riddle should have me right in the middle, ‘cause some of these n*ggas ain’t even did what I did on the come-up.” Has this bruising selection left you craving more? If so, pre-order a copy of DZA’s forthcoming album, Rugby Thompson, set for release on June 19 .
Written by richard on 05/14/12
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.