February’s the month we celebrate the birth of visionaries like J Dilla and Bob Marley, so it’s not surprising to see tributes popping up from the many artists they’ve influenced. With a name like Smoke DZA, it’s only fitting to hear him pay homage to reggae’s G.O.A.T. on unreleased cut Marley’s Garden. Backed by the pulsing bassline and hypnotic 8-bit harmonies of MeLo-X, and featuring rhymes swathed in plumes of herbal essence, this record was clearly intended to give the listener a contact high. While Garden isn’t attached to any of Smoke DZA’s upcoming releases, it’s always good to hear from the freestyle alum. Plus, there’s a special bonus at the end of the track: an interview excerpt featuring himself speaking candidly about his affinity for “herbs” and his penchant for challenging authority. But enough talking; just listen and meditate/levitate to this and look for more from DZA on The DJBooth soon.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 02/7/12
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)