February’s the month we celebrate the birth of visionaries like J Dilla and Bob Marley, so it’s not surprising to see tributes popping up from the many artists they’ve influenced. With a name like Smoke DZA, it’s only fitting to hear him pay homage to reggae’s G.O.A.T. on unreleased cut Marley’s Garden. Backed by the pulsing bassline and hypnotic 8-bit harmonies of MeLo-X, and featuring rhymes swathed in plumes of herbal essence, this record was clearly intended to give the listener a contact high. While Garden isn’t attached to any of Smoke DZA’s upcoming releases, it’s always good to hear from the freestyle alum. Plus, there’s a special bonus at the end of the track: an interview excerpt featuring himself speaking candidly about his affinity for “herbs” and his penchant for challenging authority. But enough talking; just listen and meditate/levitate to this and look for more from DZA on The DJBooth soon.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 02/7/12
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.