February’s the month we celebrate the birth of visionaries like J Dilla and Bob Marley, so it’s not surprising to see tributes popping up from the many artists they’ve influenced. With a name like Smoke DZA, it’s only fitting to hear him pay homage to reggae’s G.O.A.T. on unreleased cut Marley’s Garden. Backed by the pulsing bassline and hypnotic 8-bit harmonies of MeLo-X, and featuring rhymes swathed in plumes of herbal essence, this record was clearly intended to give the listener a contact high. While Garden isn’t attached to any of Smoke DZA’s upcoming releases, it’s always good to hear from the freestyle alum. Plus, there’s a special bonus at the end of the track: an interview excerpt featuring himself speaking candidly about his affinity for “herbs” and his penchant for challenging authority. But enough talking; just listen and meditate/levitate to this and look for more from DZA on The DJBooth soon.
Written by Stephanie Vaughn on 02/7/12
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- Jay Rock - Parental Advisory
- Run the Jewels ft. Zack De La Rocha - Close Your Eyes (And Count to F*ck)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.