Consider Smoke DZA and 2012 Best of the Booth winner, Joey Bada$$, as Batman and Robin, saving us from the Jokers of the hip-hop world, on their latest collab, Gotham F**king City. While Gotham is fictional, the bleak, grimy underbelly of New York, highlighted by the pair’s stark portrait of the city, is all too similar to Batman’s crime-infested city. Solo each emcee’s flow is strong enough to stand on it’s own, but together sound even better atop a gritty J. Dilla instrumental. The song’s visuals perfectly encapsulate the vibe of the track, addressing the struggle of surviving an unforgiving, dog-eat—dog world. Are DZA and BadA$$ hip-hop superheroes? Let us know in the comments below and check out DZA’s free mixtape, K.O.N.Y, available online now.
Written by Lucas G. on 01/25/13
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.