As cliché as it may sound, stoner rap seems to be burning hotter than ever, and now with Smoke DZA making his presence known, more and more people are catching a contact high. With a heartfelt beat produced by none other than the always soulful Hi-Tek, Smoke gives a preview of what his upcoming album, THC (The Hustler Catalog), is going to sound like on new single The Early Days of George, a cut that tells the tale of different Georges overcoming obstacles in their lives, ranging from George Washington to George Jefferson. Laid out by a smoothly-sampled beat, which sounds awfully similar to Tek’s Black and Gold swipe from a record with Reflection Eternal brethren Talib Kweli, Smoke speaks on the obstacles he’s overcome, and just how much higher he plans to take his career. The song doesn’t make it quite to the three minute mark, and might be a better look if the right emcee was recruited for a feature, but Smoke’s bars are dope, and it’s a nice break from all the weed talk. Even stoners get serious sometimes.
Written by JRTheWriter on 01/6/11
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.