Reggae legend Bob Marley was a lot of things – a poet, a philosopher, a political activist – but, despite his countless achievements, he seems destined to be remembered first and foremost as a pot smoker. Ganja is the main focus of Smoke DZA‘s newly-released remix of Marley & Me, a track that finds the Harlem emcee connecting the dots between the recently-released family film of the same name and the doobie-puffing Rasta icon (Man, I wonder what he was on when he thought that up). As if things could get any greener, hip-hop’s pothead laureate, Devin the Dude, shows up for a guest verse. Louisiana emcee Curren$y and hook-singer June Summers round out the record’s circle of puff-puff-passers, who coast dreamily along over a reggae-sampling groove contributed by Scoop Deville. This version of Marley & Me is set for inclusion on an forthcoming mixtape project, the details of which are as yet hazy.
Written by richard on 01/13/09
Submit your Rating
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.