They say write about what you know. Jay-Z knows about having more money than most countries, R. Kelly knows about freaky sex and Smoke DZA? Well, Smoke DZA knows about smoking weed, so it should be no surprise that his latest release is titled Ashtray. Frequent production partner Harry Fraud lays down an appropriately smoky beat, combining a syrup slow vocal sample with pounding drums and heavily THC-infused synths. For his part DZA is simultaneously aggressive and laid back, explaining that the sticky green has helped keep him alive: “It help me bounce back / I know it sound absurd living off herb / but everybody in the world need that loud pack.” Joining in on the smoke session as the always blazed Domo Genesis and ScHoolboy Q, who lay down their own odes to weed in tightly backed guest verses. For more no sticks, no stems hip-hop be sure to cop DZA’s upcoming album Rugby Thompson, produced entirely by Fraud, out June 19 and available now for pre-order via (where else?) High Times.
High Times Records/Cinematic Music Group
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Highway ft. Smoke DZA" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Whoo Kid Breaks Down His Essential DJ Set-Up
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.