With a career spanning two decades and five albums under their belt, Smif N Wessun are old hands at hip-hop. Thus, the Brooklyn mainstays have decided to try something a little different with their next project and incorporate elements of reggae into their music. Judging by new single Solid Ground, they’ve taken to their new, Island-flavored sound like fish to water. Over the lush, laid-back production of K-Salaam & Beatnick, their collaborators throughout the set, Tek and Steele spit adroitly about the struggle to survive and the continuing effects of racism (“No matter how much of a money gettter / You’re still looked at as a black n**ga.”). Reggae/dancehall heavyweight Junior Reid complements their fiery social commentary with a defiant sung hook. Guy Blelloch directs the joint’s accompanying visuals. The six-track Born & Raised EP is scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers December 3, via Duck Down. In the meantime, of course, you can keep it locked to the Booth for the latest song releases.
Written by richard on 10/10/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Born and Raised" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.