With a career spanning two decades and five albums under their belt, Smif N Wessun are old hands at hip-hop. Thus, the Brooklyn mainstays have decided to try something a little different with their next project and incorporate elements of reggae into their music. Judging by new single Solid Ground, they’ve taken to their new, Island-flavored sound like fish to water. Over the lush, laid-back production of K-Salaam & Beatnick, their collaborators throughout the set, Tek and Steele spit adroitly about the struggle to survive and the continuing effects of racism (“No matter how much of a money gettter / You’re still looked at as a black n**ga.”). Reggae/dancehall heavyweight Junior Reid complements their fiery social commentary with a defiant sung hook. Guy Blelloch directs the joint’s accompanying visuals. The six-track Born & Raised EP is scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers December 3, via Duck Down. In the meantime, of course, you can keep it locked to the Booth for the latest song releases.
Written by richard on 10/10/13
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Born and Raised" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.