As East Coast vets Smif N Wessun reminded us on their last Booth feature (and EP title track), they were Born and Raised in the mean streets of Brooklyn, where ruthlessness is rewarded and life is often cheap. On freshly-released follow-up Kamikaze, the duo expand on that theme, describing how the cutthroat atmosphere in which they came up (“It’s live or die, shoot or get shot / Unwritten law, get or get got.”) has affected their outlook on life. The sparse guitar riffs of project collaborators K-Salaam & Beatnick back the partners-in-rhyme as they emphasize the lack of f**ks they give about pretty much everything besides getting ahead in the music game. Shots in the Dark collaborator Jahdan once again assists on the guest tip, lending his vocals to the joint’s lush chorus. For Kamikaze and many more reggae-infused jams, cop Smif N Wessun’s Born & Raised EP, out now via Duck Down Music.
Written by richard on 01/29/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)