As East Coast vets Smif N Wessun reminded us on their last Booth feature (and EP title track), they were Born and Raised in the mean streets of Brooklyn, where ruthlessness is rewarded and life is often cheap. On freshly-released follow-up Kamikaze, the duo expand on that theme, describing how the cutthroat atmosphere in which they came up (“It’s live or die, shoot or get shot / Unwritten law, get or get got.”) has affected their outlook on life. The sparse guitar riffs of project collaborators K-Salaam & Beatnick back the partners-in-rhyme as they emphasize the lack of f**ks they give about pretty much everything besides getting ahead in the music game. Shots in the Dark collaborator Jahdan once again assists on the guest tip, lending his vocals to the joint’s lush chorus. For Kamikaze and many more reggae-infused jams, cop Smif N Wessun’s Born & Raised EP, out now via Duck Down Music.
Written by richard on 01/29/14
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.