As East Coast vets Smif N Wessun reminded us on their last Booth feature (and EP title track), they were Born and Raised in the mean streets of Brooklyn, where ruthlessness is rewarded and life is often cheap. On freshly-released follow-up Kamikaze, the duo expand on that theme, describing how the cutthroat atmosphere in which they came up (“It’s live or die, shoot or get shot / Unwritten law, get or get got.”) has affected their outlook on life. The sparse guitar riffs of project collaborators K-Salaam & Beatnick back the partners-in-rhyme as they emphasize the lack of f**ks they give about pretty much everything besides getting ahead in the music game. Shots in the Dark collaborator Jahdan once again assists on the guest tip, lending his vocals to the joint’s lush chorus. For Kamikaze and many more reggae-infused jams, cop Smif N Wessun’s Born & Raised EP, out now via Duck Down Music.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!