As East Coast vets Smif N Wessun reminded us on their last Booth feature (and EP title track), they were Born and Raised in the mean streets of Brooklyn, where ruthlessness is rewarded and life is often cheap. On freshly-released follow-up Kamikaze, the duo expand on that theme, describing how the cutthroat atmosphere in which they came up (“It’s live or die, shoot or get shot / Unwritten law, get or get got.”) has affected their outlook on life. The sparse guitar riffs of project collaborators K-Salaam & Beatnick back the partners-in-rhyme as they emphasize the lack of f**ks they give about pretty much everything besides getting ahead in the music game. Shots in the Dark collaborator Jahdan once again assists on the guest tip, lending his vocals to the joint’s lush chorus. For Kamikaze and many more reggae-infused jams, cop Smif N Wessun’s Born & Raised EP, out now via Duck Down Music.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- FL (of The Foodchain) - Young Amsterdam
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.