As East Coast vets Smif N Wessun reminded us on their last Booth feature (and EP title track), they were Born and Raised in the mean streets of Brooklyn, where ruthlessness is rewarded and life is often cheap. On freshly-released follow-up Kamikaze, the duo expand on that theme, describing how the cutthroat atmosphere in which they came up (“It’s live or die, shoot or get shot / Unwritten law, get or get got.”) has affected their outlook on life. The sparse guitar riffs of project collaborators K-Salaam & Beatnick back the partners-in-rhyme as they emphasize the lack of f**ks they give about pretty much everything besides getting ahead in the music game. Shots in the Dark collaborator Jahdan once again assists on the guest tip, lending his vocals to the joint’s lush chorus. For Kamikaze and many more reggae-infused jams, cop Smif N Wessun’s Born & Raised EP, out now via Duck Down Music.
Written by richard on 01/29/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.