It only takes about 10 seconds to realize the strength of a track (go ahead, test it sometime). So when I plugged in my headphones to check out SmCity’s premiere single and the bass almost knocked my eardrums out, I knew it would at least be pretty damn good. Upon further listening, I realized that it was indeed dope, and that this dude really can pull his rhymes out of Thin Air. The heavy-hitting, up tempo production (thanks to Judah) provides Sm with everything he needs to show off his skills on the mic, giving listeners a taste of the kind of linguistic mastery the up-and-coming emcee is capable of: “The crew committing mutiny, but the captain will prevail/ now I have to just sail/ like I’m Captain Ahab, chasing after his whale.” It’s not every day you hear a rapper reference Herman Melville. If you liked this track, be sure to check out The Indie Life EP, hosted by DJBooth, produced entirely by Judah and due to set the internet on fire February 22.
Written by Sigurd on 02/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Surrender (Win Is in the Bag)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.