It only takes about 10 seconds to realize the strength of a track (go ahead, test it sometime). So when I plugged in my headphones to check out SmCity’s premiere single and the bass almost knocked my eardrums out, I knew it would at least be pretty damn good. Upon further listening, I realized that it was indeed dope, and that this dude really can pull his rhymes out of Thin Air. The heavy-hitting, up tempo production (thanks to Judah) provides Sm with everything he needs to show off his skills on the mic, giving listeners a taste of the kind of linguistic mastery the up-and-coming emcee is capable of: “The crew committing mutiny, but the captain will prevail/ now I have to just sail/ like I’m Captain Ahab, chasing after his whale.” It’s not every day you hear a rapper reference Herman Melville. If you liked this track, be sure to check out The Indie Life EP, hosted by DJBooth, produced entirely by Judah and due to set the internet on fire February 22.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Surrender (Win Is in the Bag)" (2009)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Future ft. Pharrell, Pusha T & Casino - Move That Dope
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- Devin Miles - Where the DJs At?
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!