It only takes about 10 seconds to realize the strength of a track (go ahead, test it sometime). So when I plugged in my headphones to check out SmCity’s premiere single and the bass almost knocked my eardrums out, I knew it would at least be pretty damn good. Upon further listening, I realized that it was indeed dope, and that this dude really can pull his rhymes out of Thin Air. The heavy-hitting, up tempo production (thanks to Judah) provides Sm with everything he needs to show off his skills on the mic, giving listeners a taste of the kind of linguistic mastery the up-and-coming emcee is capable of: “The crew committing mutiny, but the captain will prevail/ now I have to just sail/ like I’m Captain Ahab, chasing after his whale.” It’s not every day you hear a rapper reference Herman Melville. If you liked this track, be sure to check out The Indie Life EP, hosted by DJBooth, produced entirely by Judah and due to set the internet on fire February 22.
Written by Sigurd on 02/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Surrender (Win Is in the Bag)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.