It only takes about 10 seconds to realize the strength of a track (go ahead, test it sometime). So when I plugged in my headphones to check out SmCity’s premiere single and the bass almost knocked my eardrums out, I knew it would at least be pretty damn good. Upon further listening, I realized that it was indeed dope, and that this dude really can pull his rhymes out of Thin Air. The heavy-hitting, up tempo production (thanks to Judah) provides Sm with everything he needs to show off his skills on the mic, giving listeners a taste of the kind of linguistic mastery the up-and-coming emcee is capable of: “The crew committing mutiny, but the captain will prevail/ now I have to just sail/ like I’m Captain Ahab, chasing after his whale.” It’s not every day you hear a rapper reference Herman Melville. If you liked this track, be sure to check out The Indie Life EP, hosted by DJBooth, produced entirely by Judah and due to set the internet on fire February 22.
Written by Sigurd on 02/10/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Surrender (Win Is in the Bag)" (2009)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Red Cup Nation ft. Tommy Parker - Girls
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.