When putting together a gully street record, grabbing an emcee from Detroit and another from Philadelphia to flow over a simple yet effective gutter trodden beat is an unbeatable combo. Beatsmith Small Professor accomplishes this with his new track Spare Razor, featuring Guilty Simpson and Reef the Lost Cauze, that truly does see the rappers slice up the beat. Guilty takes the first stab – pun intended – cutting up everybody from the haters to the entire industry in the laid back but still very serious way that only he can. Reef takes the next Razor and kills it with his verse, making it just macabre enough to walk the line of being horror-core without being campy. Reef does manage to put a little of the “laughter” back in the word “slaughter” with the line, “Get it kid, you the greatest of all time, so soon you’ll be dead as B.I.G. Yo, whose head is this?” Small Pro’s beat on Razor is very reminiscent of the sound created by the producers who were under RZA’s tutelage and on his first DJBooth feature, Small Pro has proven that he deserved the space on the site. Spare Razor is a part of the upcoming Gigantic, Vol. 1, set for release tomorrow (1/24) and will feature Von Pea, Buff1, Blueprint, Has-Lo and others.
Written by JC Poppe on 01/23/12
Submit your Rating
Diamond Media 360
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"On the Run" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.