A longtime favorite in the Booth thanks to his boardwork on cuts by Mike Schpitz, Neak, K. Sparks and other reader-acclaimed emcees, Slot-A has recently been transitioning from a producer who raps on occasion to a full-blown solo artist. Having proven his mettle with a number of dope guest spots, the Chi-town representative makes his headlining Booth debut with the world premiere of Growing, the latest single off his next EP. A woozy blend of head-noddable-percussion, staccato brass stabs, breathy vocal samples and scratches sets the mood as Slot tells a cautionary tale about the uncanny power of his beats and rhymes: apparently, all it takes is one listen to his music to send a responsible college girl down a path of dissolution that ends in prostitution and unintended pregnancy. Hey, he told you this sh*t wasn’t harmless. While The Transition as yet lacks a drop date, those fiending for more Slot-A solo material can stay tuned for all the latest from the multi-talented Midwesterner.
Written by richard on 10/2/12
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"School Daze" (2009)
- Big K.R.I.T. ft. Juicy J, Rittz & A$AP Ferg - Drinkers Club
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.