If Texas were to hold an election for official hip-hop representative, Slim Thug would undoubtedly be one of the front-running candidates. Thus, it’s only appropriate that the Houston icon took the opportunity to welcome those visiting the Lone Star State for last week’s NBA All-Star game (held in Dallas) with a brand new street album. On leaked cut I Rep, Thugga joins forces with a few fellow Southern ambassadors to do just as the title says. The record’s biggest star, Ludacris, is first to stunt over Mr. Lee‘s synth-driven instrumental (complete with a hook sampled from another Texan heavyweight, Bun B), and the headliner follows his ATL amigo’s characteristically dope, if laid-back bars with his own unmistakable brand of car-crazy braggadocio. Rounding out the guest lineup are South Carolina’s Dre Day, who showcases his sung and flowed vocal stylings as he takes listeners on tour of “Promethazine City,” and up-and-coming emcee Kez, who brings the record to a close on a cash/ice-centric note. Fans can find more street-ready bangers from Slim Thug and his Southern cohorts on Welcome 2 Texas, available now online.
Written by richard on 02/18/10
Submit your Rating
Boss Hogg Outlawz/E1 Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wamp Wamp (What It Do)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.