If Texas were to hold an election for official hip-hop representative, Slim Thug would undoubtedly be one of the front-running candidates. Thus, it’s only appropriate that the Houston icon took the opportunity to welcome those visiting the Lone Star State for last week’s NBA All-Star game (held in Dallas) with a brand new street album. On leaked cut I Rep, Thugga joins forces with a few fellow Southern ambassadors to do just as the title says. The record’s biggest star, Ludacris, is first to stunt over Mr. Lee‘s synth-driven instrumental (complete with a hook sampled from another Texan heavyweight, Bun B), and the headliner follows his ATL amigo’s characteristically dope, if laid-back bars with his own unmistakable brand of car-crazy braggadocio. Rounding out the guest lineup are South Carolina’s Dre Day, who showcases his sung and flowed vocal stylings as he takes listeners on tour of “Promethazine City,” and up-and-coming emcee Kez, who brings the record to a close on a cash/ice-centric note. Fans can find more street-ready bangers from Slim Thug and his Southern cohorts on Welcome 2 Texas, available now online.
Written by richard on 02/18/10
Submit your Rating
Boss Hogg Outlawz/E1 Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wamp Wamp (What It Do)" (2006)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.