“Ask your friends who’s The Illest” and, if your friends are serious hip-hop heads, you can bet that the flamespitters who make up lyrical supergroup Slaughterhouse will factor in. On this new, unreleased cut, Joe Budden, Crooked I, Royce Da 5’9” and Joell Ortiz remind listeners exactly why they’re four of the greatest doing it. Backed by the The Klassics’ grimy, boom-bap boardwork—featuring a hook sampled from Biggie’s Think Big—the crew drop “lyrically… untouchable, uncrushable” verses packed to the gills with quotable punchlines. The illest line in The Illest? I nominate Crook’s triple-take-inducing “I’m bout to go Van Gogh, and I have to reach for slavery guns—that mean I draw a master piece,” with honorable mention going to Royce for: “We not social / On Twitter we block Oprah and Deepak Chopra.” As always, though, Booth readers get the final say. It has yet to be determined whether this cut will be appearing on Slaughterhouse’s sophomore set (and Shady Records debut), but fans can keep it locked for all the latest news and tunes!
Written by richard on 10/16/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Slaughterhouse ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.