“Ask your friends who’s The Illest” and, if your friends are serious hip-hop heads, you can bet that the flamespitters who make up lyrical supergroup Slaughterhouse will factor in. On this new, unreleased cut, Joe Budden, Crooked I, Royce Da 5’9” and Joell Ortiz remind listeners exactly why they’re four of the greatest doing it. Backed by the The Klassics’ grimy, boom-bap boardwork—featuring a hook sampled from Biggie’s Think Big—the crew drop “lyrically… untouchable, uncrushable” verses packed to the gills with quotable punchlines. The illest line in The Illest? I nominate Crook’s triple-take-inducing “I’m bout to go Van Gogh, and I have to reach for slavery guns—that mean I draw a master piece,” with honorable mention going to Royce for: “We not social / On Twitter we block Oprah and Deepak Chopra.” As always, though, Booth readers get the final say. It has yet to be determined whether this cut will be appearing on Slaughterhouse’s sophomore set (and Shady Records debut), but fans can keep it locked for all the latest news and tunes!
Written by richard on 10/16/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Slaughterhouse ft. Various Artists" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.