Royce Da 5’9”, Crooked I, Joell Ortiz and Joe Budden, along with Black Sheep front man Dres are all letting us know that Hip-Hop’s Transformers, Slaughterhouse, are officially Back on the Scene. With a line up like this, along with that damn near classic album they dropped in ’09, I for one have been fiendin’ for more from the supergroup. Since then, all four memebrs have dropped fire mixtapes or freestyles, and being the borderline Stan that I am for Slaughterhouse, my expectations based on recent material has been sky high. Honestly, though, I’m not sure if this lives up to them. While all four emcees bodied their verses over M-Phazes’ bouncy, throwback influenced track (peep the The Choice is Yours sample), it was almost like I’ve been spoiled by their over-lyricism, so when they don’t come as hard as I expect, I feel cheated. But that’s my hang up, sorry friends. Dres’ hook brings back memories of a time when spitting like these guys was the norm and his voice definitely brings his signature energy to the single. So let the debate begin! Who came hardest? Good use of the sample? Are you picking up the new LP on Feb. 8th?
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 01/10/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Slaughterhouse ft. Various Artists" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.