Slakah the Beatchild may be new to the Booth, but he’s clearly an old soul; on new single Enjoy Ya Self (Version 2), the up-and-coming singer/producer teams up with established Booth favorite and fellow Toronto native Drake (not present on the original album cut) to channel “De La Soul by way of Marvin Gaye.” That snippet from Slakah’s hook does a pretty good job of summing up the record’s sound—as you’d expect, the artist’s own boardwork is about as mellow as mellow gets, and its airy, jazzy guitar groove proves a fitting backdrop for his soulful yet never showy vocal stylings. Also unsurprisingly, Drake’s flow couldn’t be a better fit; his opening contribution is fairly brief, but if you’re digging on the record’s old-school feel, you’re sure to appreciate the laid-back braggadocio with which he brushes off the competition. With the “feel-good, real-good vibe” Slakah’s cooked up here, it’s hard not to kick back and simply do as the title says. If you need a soundtrack for those lazy summer days we’re all looking forward to, jump on board the Beatchild’s Soul Movement on May 26th, when Vol. 1 of his LP hits North American shores.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Logic ft. Big Sean - Alright
- Top Remixes of the Month [April 2014]
- Asher Roth - Retrohash
- Iggy Azalea - The New Classic
- Joyner Lucas - Don’t Ask for Nothin
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Songs Chart (April 21, 2014)
- Behind The Boards Interview Series: Statik Selektah
- Future - Honest LP
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.