Slakah the Beatchild may be new to the Booth, but he’s clearly an old soul; on new single Enjoy Ya Self (Version 2), the up-and-coming singer/producer teams up with established Booth favorite and fellow Toronto native Drake (not present on the original album cut) to channel “De La Soul by way of Marvin Gaye.” That snippet from Slakah’s hook does a pretty good job of summing up the record’s sound—as you’d expect, the artist’s own boardwork is about as mellow as mellow gets, and its airy, jazzy guitar groove proves a fitting backdrop for his soulful yet never showy vocal stylings. Also unsurprisingly, Drake’s flow couldn’t be a better fit; his opening contribution is fairly brief, but if you’re digging on the record’s old-school feel, you’re sure to appreciate the laid-back braggadocio with which he brushes off the competition. With the “feel-good, real-good vibe” Slakah’s cooked up here, it’s hard not to kick back and simply do as the title says. If you need a soundtrack for those lazy summer days we’re all looking forward to, jump on board the Beatchild’s Soul Movement on May 26th, when Vol. 1 of his LP hits North American shores.
Written by richard on 05/3/09
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.