Slakah the Beatchild may be new to the Booth, but he’s clearly an old soul; on new single Enjoy Ya Self (Version 2), the up-and-coming singer/producer teams up with established Booth favorite and fellow Toronto native Drake (not present on the original album cut) to channel “De La Soul by way of Marvin Gaye.” That snippet from Slakah’s hook does a pretty good job of summing up the record’s sound—as you’d expect, the artist’s own boardwork is about as mellow as mellow gets, and its airy, jazzy guitar groove proves a fitting backdrop for his soulful yet never showy vocal stylings. Also unsurprisingly, Drake’s flow couldn’t be a better fit; his opening contribution is fairly brief, but if you’re digging on the record’s old-school feel, you’re sure to appreciate the laid-back braggadocio with which he brushes off the competition. With the “feel-good, real-good vibe” Slakah’s cooked up here, it’s hard not to kick back and simply do as the title says. If you need a soundtrack for those lazy summer days we’re all looking forward to, jump on board the Beatchild’s Soul Movement on May 26th, when Vol. 1 of his LP hits North American shores.
Written by richard on 05/3/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.