Released back in April, ‘mix-album’ The Foundation showcased German superproducer Shuko‘s work with an impressive lineup of hip-hop icons and underground buzzmakers. Strung Out , Brooklyn emcee Skyzoo‘s contribution to the project, was recently overhauled by countless hopeful beatsmiths as part of a Coalmine Records-hosted remix challenge. The wining entry in the “sampled”category came courtesy of up-and-coming producer Small Professor, who switched Shuko’s gritty instrumental for a lush, string-driven jazz-funk groove that keeps the old-school vibe, but adds a wistfully nostalgic flavor to Skyzoo’s hard-hitting, braggadocio-laced rhymes; though the tone is different, the end result could hardly feel more natural. Fans can find this version of the cut, the winning “non-sampled” revamp (contributed by Brazilian producer Cabe), and more on the new, Foundation-inspired Strung Out Remixes EP, available now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 08/3/09
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.