Released back in April, ‘mix-album’ The Foundation showcased German superproducer Shuko‘s work with an impressive lineup of hip-hop icons and underground buzzmakers. Strung Out , Brooklyn emcee Skyzoo‘s contribution to the project, was recently overhauled by countless hopeful beatsmiths as part of a Coalmine Records-hosted remix challenge. The wining entry in the “sampled”category came courtesy of up-and-coming producer Small Professor, who switched Shuko’s gritty instrumental for a lush, string-driven jazz-funk groove that keeps the old-school vibe, but adds a wistfully nostalgic flavor to Skyzoo’s hard-hitting, braggadocio-laced rhymes; though the tone is different, the end result could hardly feel more natural. Fans can find this version of the cut, the winning “non-sampled” revamp (contributed by Brazilian producer Cabe), and more on the new, Foundation-inspired Strung Out Remixes EP, available now on iTunes.
Written by richard on 08/3/09
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- Rap Quiz: Bet You Can’t Guess The Album Cover Pt. 6
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.