Anyone who listens to Skyzoo‘s music with open ears will sense the Brooklyn repper’s reverence for his hip-hop forebears, but one of the greatest influences on his pen game isn’t a rapper—or even a musician. On new single Spike Lee Was My Hero, Sky reveals the extent to which the titular filmmaker’s ‘hood narratives shaped his artistic consciousness, peppering his bars with callouts to Lee’s blockbusters as well as his lesser-known flicks. Joining the headline over Tall Black Guy‘s brass-sampled production, Talib Kweli references a few of his own favorite Spike Lee joints on verse two. Alex Ghassan‘s official visuals feature a cameo appearance from Spike, who volunteered to play himself after being introduced to the song by his son, Jackson. Released in September 2012 via The Faculty/Duck Down Records, Skyzoo’s A Dream Deferred LP is available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 01/23/13
A Brooklyn rhymesayer whose name has become synonymous with formidable mic skills and peerless lyricism, Skyzoo has set the hip-hop underground on fire once again with his sixth studio album, A Dream Deferred. Named after the...
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.