Anyone who listens to Skyzoo‘s music with open ears will sense the Brooklyn repper’s reverence for his hip-hop forebears, but one of the greatest influences on his pen game isn’t a rapper—or even a musician. On new single Spike Lee Was My Hero, Sky reveals the extent to which the titular filmmaker’s ‘hood narratives shaped his artistic consciousness, peppering his bars with callouts to Lee’s blockbusters as well as his lesser-known flicks. Joining the headline over Tall Black Guy‘s brass-sampled production, Talib Kweli references a few of his own favorite Spike Lee joints on verse two. Alex Ghassan‘s official visuals feature a cameo appearance from Spike, who volunteered to play himself after being introduced to the song by his son, Jackson. Released in September 2012 via The Faculty/Duck Down Records, Skyzoo’s A Dream Deferred LP is available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 01/23/13
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Lil Wayne ft. The LOX - Gotti
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (10/27)
- Jay Rock ft. Kendrick Lamar & Chantal - Pay For It
- Nicki Minaj ft. Drake, Lil Wayne & Chris Brown - Only
- Drake - 6 God EP
- Run the Jewels - RTJ2
- T.I. - Paperwork: The Motion Picture
- Shady XV: Eminem is Dropping a New Album & I Don’t Care
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.