Anyone who listens to Skyzoo‘s music with open ears will sense the Brooklyn repper’s reverence for his hip-hop forebears, but one of the greatest influences on his pen game isn’t a rapper—or even a musician. On new single Spike Lee Was My Hero, Sky reveals the extent to which the titular filmmaker’s ‘hood narratives shaped his artistic consciousness, peppering his bars with callouts to Lee’s blockbusters as well as his lesser-known flicks. Joining the headline over Tall Black Guy‘s brass-sampled production, Talib Kweli references a few of his own favorite Spike Lee joints on verse two. Alex Ghassan‘s official visuals feature a cameo appearance from Spike, who volunteered to play himself after being introduced to the song by his son, Jackson. Released in September 2012 via The Faculty/Duck Down Records, Skyzoo’s A Dream Deferred LP is available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 01/23/13
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.