Anyone who listens to Skyzoo‘s music with open ears will sense the Brooklyn repper’s reverence for his hip-hop forebears, but one of the greatest influences on his pen game isn’t a rapper—or even a musician. On new single Spike Lee Was My Hero, Sky reveals the extent to which the titular filmmaker’s ‘hood narratives shaped his artistic consciousness, peppering his bars with callouts to Lee’s blockbusters as well as his lesser-known flicks. Joining the headline over Tall Black Guy‘s brass-sampled production, Talib Kweli references a few of his own favorite Spike Lee joints on verse two. Alex Ghassan‘s official visuals feature a cameo appearance from Spike, who volunteered to play himself after being introduced to the song by his son, Jackson. Released in September 2012 via The Faculty/Duck Down Records, Skyzoo’s A Dream Deferred LP is available now in stores and online.
Written by richard on 01/23/13
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- Rick Ross ft. Project Pat - Elvis Presley Blvd.
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.