Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch Skyzoo’s Anthony Sylvester-directed “Rocket Science” video.
So many rappers fail at making dope music you’d think rap was Rocket Science. While the mic-holding hordes drown in racks and swag the formula for quality hip-hop just isn’t that complicated. Simply take an atmospheric, hazy and softly winding beat from !llmind, add in verses and a hook from one of the best young lyricists alive and boom, you’re all set. Ok, so maybe it actually is pretty complicated, but Skyzoo sure makes it look easy. While the aforementioned beat hums in the background - this has to be some of the most mellow !ll production I’ve ever heard - Zoo does what he does best; drop bars that absolutely force you to listen: “Never preached on a record / I just said what it be on a record / and made ‘em want to believe on a record.” It doesn’t sound that hard, but Sky’s one of the few who can make ‘em believe. Rocket Science is the first of four bonus cuts off Sky’s excellent new album The Great Debater Revisited, which is an expanded edition of the project DJBooth is offering for free stream and direct download.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/4/12
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.