Update: Click “Listen Now” above to watch Skyzoo’s Anthony Sylvester-directed “Rocket Science” video.
So many rappers fail at making dope music you’d think rap was Rocket Science. While the mic-holding hordes drown in racks and swag the formula for quality hip-hop just isn’t that complicated. Simply take an atmospheric, hazy and softly winding beat from !llmind, add in verses and a hook from one of the best young lyricists alive and boom, you’re all set. Ok, so maybe it actually is pretty complicated, but Skyzoo sure makes it look easy. While the aforementioned beat hums in the background - this has to be some of the most mellow !ll production I’ve ever heard - Zoo does what he does best; drop bars that absolutely force you to listen: “Never preached on a record / I just said what it be on a record / and made ‘em want to believe on a record.” It doesn’t sound that hard, but Sky’s one of the few who can make ‘em believe. Rocket Science is the first of four bonus cuts off Sky’s excellent new album The Great Debater Revisited, which is an expanded edition of the project DJBooth is offering for free stream and direct download.
Written by Nathan S. on 04/4/12
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.