Is it possible to improve on a masterwork of freshness like Speakers on Blast, single number two off Skyzoo and !llmind‘s recent collaborative debut? Having meditated on the matter for 40 days and 40 nights (OK, maybe it was more like 40 seconds), I have to say… I don’t know. But, hell, it’s worth a shot. While the official remix retains Ill’s icy boardwork, Sky jettisons his original verses in favor of a brand new 16 on the front. Handling the latter two-thirds are a duo of NYC mainstays who know their way around a street banger; recent Kanye cosignee Lloyd Banks jumps on the middle for some raspy car talk (along with what, if my ears don’t deceive me, is one of the weirdest boasts I’ve heard in a minute: “I’m tough as a frog.”) and Maino takes center stage on the back, showcasing a “coke dro flow” that goes with the stark production like peanut butter with chocolate. On par with the original? That, my friends, is for you to decide. Either way, those who haven’t already purchased a copy of Live From the Tape Deck are depriving themselves of a tremendously dope experience – make a trip to your local record store, stat!
Written by richard on 11/23/10
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.