Is it possible to improve on a masterwork of freshness like Speakers on Blast, single number two off Skyzoo and !llmind‘s recent collaborative debut? Having meditated on the matter for 40 days and 40 nights (OK, maybe it was more like 40 seconds), I have to say… I don’t know. But, hell, it’s worth a shot. While the official remix retains Ill’s icy boardwork, Sky jettisons his original verses in favor of a brand new 16 on the front. Handling the latter two-thirds are a duo of NYC mainstays who know their way around a street banger; recent Kanye cosignee Lloyd Banks jumps on the middle for some raspy car talk (along with what, if my ears don’t deceive me, is one of the weirdest boasts I’ve heard in a minute: “I’m tough as a frog.”) and Maino takes center stage on the back, showcasing a “coke dro flow” that goes with the stark production like peanut butter with chocolate. On par with the original? That, my friends, is for you to decide. Either way, those who haven’t already purchased a copy of Live From the Tape Deck are depriving themselves of a tremendously dope experience – make a trip to your local record store, stat!
Written by richard on 11/23/10
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.