OK, raise your hand if you expected Skyzoo‘s latest single to be a diss track in which the Brooklyn native compared other rapper’s CDs to every fratboy/golden retriever’s favorite toy. I did, anyway. The truth, however, is considerably more creative: this joint finds Sky tossing out cryptic, tightly-wound punchlines like Frisbees, and challenging listeners to catch them with their brains. (Figuratively, of course.) Illmind mans the boards, creating a gritty synth backdrop for rhymes that’ll take their share of repeat listens to unravel: “Upper echelon, sketch a song, stretch the batter up, call the beat the lactose, pray it keep you padded up…” Lyrics like this might not score Skyzoo a spot in the Top 40, but they’ll certainly earn him a place in the iPods, and hearts, of hip-hop heads on the intellectual side of the spectrum. If you fall into that category, you’ll most definitely want to pick up a copy of Skyzoo and Illminds’s forthcoming collaborative LP, Live From the Tape Deck, set to hit stores and online retailers this October via Duck Down Records.
Listen to More: Skyzoo
Written by richard on 07/14/10
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/26)
- Madison | LST ft. Kiah Victoria - The World
- Kings Dead - Don’t Need Much
- Nova Rockafeller ft. Michael Christmas - Problem
- Stalley ft. Rick Ross - Everything A Dope Boy Ever Wanted
- Saigon - GSNT3: The Troubled Times of Brian Carenard
- DJ Drama ft. Young Jeezy, Young Thug & Rich Homie Quan - Right Back
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (September 2014)
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.