OK, raise your hand if you expected Skyzoo‘s latest single to be a diss track in which the Brooklyn native compared other rapper’s CDs to every fratboy/golden retriever’s favorite toy. I did, anyway. The truth, however, is considerably more creative: this joint finds Sky tossing out cryptic, tightly-wound punchlines like Frisbees, and challenging listeners to catch them with their brains. (Figuratively, of course.) Illmind mans the boards, creating a gritty synth backdrop for rhymes that’ll take their share of repeat listens to unravel: “Upper echelon, sketch a song, stretch the batter up, call the beat the lactose, pray it keep you padded up…” Lyrics like this might not score Skyzoo a spot in the Top 40, but they’ll certainly earn him a place in the iPods, and hearts, of hip-hop heads on the intellectual side of the spectrum. If you fall into that category, you’ll most definitely want to pick up a copy of Skyzoo and Illminds’s forthcoming collaborative LP, Live From the Tape Deck, set to hit stores and online retailers this October via Duck Down Records.
Listen to More: Skyzoo
Written by richard on 07/14/10
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.