OK, raise your hand if you expected Skyzoo‘s latest single to be a diss track in which the Brooklyn native compared other rapper’s CDs to every fratboy/golden retriever’s favorite toy. I did, anyway. The truth, however, is considerably more creative: this joint finds Sky tossing out cryptic, tightly-wound punchlines like Frisbees, and challenging listeners to catch them with their brains. (Figuratively, of course.) Illmind mans the boards, creating a gritty synth backdrop for rhymes that’ll take their share of repeat listens to unravel: “Upper echelon, sketch a song, stretch the batter up, call the beat the lactose, pray it keep you padded up…” Lyrics like this might not score Skyzoo a spot in the Top 40, but they’ll certainly earn him a place in the iPods, and hearts, of hip-hop heads on the intellectual side of the spectrum. If you fall into that category, you’ll most definitely want to pick up a copy of Skyzoo and Illminds’s forthcoming collaborative LP, Live From the Tape Deck, set to hit stores and online retailers this October via Duck Down Records.
Written by richard on 07/14/10
Submit your Rating
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DeJ Loaf - Sell Sole
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.