OK, raise your hand if you expected Skyzoo‘s latest single to be a diss track in which the Brooklyn native compared other rapper’s CDs to every fratboy/golden retriever’s favorite toy. I did, anyway. The truth, however, is considerably more creative: this joint finds Sky tossing out cryptic, tightly-wound punchlines like Frisbees, and challenging listeners to catch them with their brains. (Figuratively, of course.) Illmind mans the boards, creating a gritty synth backdrop for rhymes that’ll take their share of repeat listens to unravel: “Upper echelon, sketch a song, stretch the batter up, call the beat the lactose, pray it keep you padded up…” Lyrics like this might not score Skyzoo a spot in the Top 40, but they’ll certainly earn him a place in the iPods, and hearts, of hip-hop heads on the intellectual side of the spectrum. If you fall into that category, you’ll most definitely want to pick up a copy of Skyzoo and Illminds’s forthcoming collaborative LP, Live From the Tape Deck, set to hit stores and online retailers this October via Duck Down Records.
Listen to More: Skyzoo Written by richard
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Boi ft. A$AP Rocky. Phantogram & A-Ha - Lanes
- BAU Music ft. Action Bronson, A$ton Matthews & J.Rocc - With My Soul
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of February 2014
- Pharrell - G I R L
- Rick Ross - Mastermind
- ScHoolboy Q - Oxymoron
- A 15 Song Tour Through Pharrell’s Career
- SchoolBoy Q ft. 2 Chainz - What They Want
- Nyzzy Nyce - Nothing Nyce
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!