OK, raise your hand if you expected Skyzoo‘s latest single to be a diss track in which the Brooklyn native compared other rapper’s CDs to every fratboy/golden retriever’s favorite toy. I did, anyway. The truth, however, is considerably more creative: this joint finds Sky tossing out cryptic, tightly-wound punchlines like Frisbees, and challenging listeners to catch them with their brains. (Figuratively, of course.) Illmind mans the boards, creating a gritty synth backdrop for rhymes that’ll take their share of repeat listens to unravel: “Upper echelon, sketch a song, stretch the batter up, call the beat the lactose, pray it keep you padded up…” Lyrics like this might not score Skyzoo a spot in the Top 40, but they’ll certainly earn him a place in the iPods, and hearts, of hip-hop heads on the intellectual side of the spectrum. If you fall into that category, you’ll most definitely want to pick up a copy of Skyzoo and Illminds’s forthcoming collaborative LP, Live From the Tape Deck, set to hit stores and online retailers this October via Duck Down Records.
Listen to More: Skyzoo
Written by richard on 07/14/10
The Faculty Inc./ Duck Down Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"The Necessary Evils" (2008)
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)