To say Skylar Grey‘s ascent to becoming the latest “it” girl was planned is completely wrong. A solo artist and songwriter well outside of the hip-hop world, it was a twist of fate more than anything that found Grey showing up on huge singles from Rihanna, Dr. Dre and Lupe Fiasco and becoming the hook queen of the year in the process. Well, with the help of longtime production collaborator Alex da Kid, Skylar’s lead single Invisible ironically finds her stepping into the spotlight. Co-written by Matchbox 20’s own Rob Thomas, Invisible takes us on a trip into the world of an outcast willing to do anything to be noticed. Behind Alex’s pounding drums and moody guitars, which have a much softer feel than most of his previous work, Grey shows off the pen skills that match her eye opening vocals, piecing together lyrics aimed for those alienated. But will it be enough to establish Skylar as a solo star? That’s up to you. Either way, while her debut disc, the similarly-entitled Invinsible, isn’t set to drop until the fall, Grey’s already primed to own the summer.
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.