To say Skylar Grey‘s ascent to becoming the latest “it” girl was planned is completely wrong. A solo artist and songwriter well outside of the hip-hop world, it was a twist of fate more than anything that found Grey showing up on huge singles from Rihanna, Dr. Dre and Lupe Fiasco and becoming the hook queen of the year in the process. Well, with the help of longtime production collaborator Alex da Kid, Skylar’s lead single Invisible ironically finds her stepping into the spotlight. Co-written by Matchbox 20’s own Rob Thomas, Invisible takes us on a trip into the world of an outcast willing to do anything to be noticed. Behind Alex’s pounding drums and moody guitars, which have a much softer feel than most of his previous work, Grey shows off the pen skills that match her eye opening vocals, piecing together lyrics aimed for those alienated. But will it be enough to establish Skylar as a solo star? That’s up to you. Either way, while her debut disc, the similarly-entitled Invinsible, isn’t set to drop until the fall, Grey’s already primed to own the summer.
Written by Brando on 06/19/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- RyattFienix - Ryse of the Fienix
- Jaden Smith - Cool Tape Vol. 2
- 5 Fresh Songs You Might Have Missed (11/17)
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “L.A. vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)