On the surface, Skylar Grey might seem like your ordinary alt-pop songstress. Upon closer inspection, however, she has a sharp edge, as evidenced by 2012’s Eminem-assisted C’mon Let Me Ride. Her latest effort, Final Warning, is a lot like her persona: while Skylar’s irresistibly raspy, yet soft vocals make for an intoxicating, catchy listen, the record’s ear-pleasing qualities belie its dark subject matter. Backed by a string-driven beat from Alex Da Kid, Grey takes up arms against a new ex, refusing to be heartbroken and vowing that she will come out on top at any cost. Final Warning is the latest single off Grey’s debut LP, Don’t Look Down, set to drop this July via KIDinaKORNER/Interscope.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/16/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.