On the surface, Skylar Grey might seem like your ordinary alt-pop songstress. Upon closer inspection, however, she has a sharp edge, as evidenced by 2012’s Eminem-assisted C’mon Let Me Ride. Her latest effort, Final Warning, is a lot like her persona: while Skylar’s irresistibly raspy, yet soft vocals make for an intoxicating, catchy listen, the record’s ear-pleasing qualities belie its dark subject matter. Backed by a string-driven beat from Alex Da Kid, Grey takes up arms against a new ex, refusing to be heartbroken and vowing that she will come out on top at any cost. Final Warning is the latest single off Grey’s debut LP, Don’t Look Down, set to drop this July via KIDinaKORNER/Interscope.
Written by Lucas G. on 04/16/13
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.