Booth readers may best know Skylar Grey from her hook vocals on cuts like I Need a Doctor, Coming Home and Words I Never Said, but the Mazomanie, Wisconsin representative is much more than a pretty voice—she’s also a solo singer/songwriter with an eclectic style well worth pop-lovers’ attention. As proof, I present Dance Without You, the artist’s first feature and the inaugural buzz single off her forthcoming debut full-length. Hitmaking producer Alex Da Kid mans the boards, cooking up a genre-defying blend of gritty percussion, beatboxing and crunching blues riffs as the singer expresses her pent-up frustrations with a certain man (I think.) Though she “[breaks her] neck to be polite” when he’s feeling insecure, she’s become fed up with his refusal to allow her autonomy and breathing space. Suffocated as Skylar Grey may feel relationship-wise, she’s clearly calling her own shots in the musical arena. Has this rock-infused banger left you intrigued? Then keep it locked for the latest details on the singer’s freshman set, which has yet to receive either a title or a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- Best/Worst of the Week: Wale & Seinfeld, Kendrick on “SNL” & More
- Isaiah Rashad’s “Cilvia Demo” vs. Mick Jenkins’ “The Water[s]”
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.