Booth readers may best know Skylar Grey from her hook vocals on cuts like I Need a Doctor, Coming Home and Words I Never Said, but the Mazomanie, Wisconsin representative is much more than a pretty voice—she’s also a solo singer/songwriter with an eclectic style well worth pop-lovers’ attention. As proof, I present Dance Without You, the artist’s first feature and the inaugural buzz single off her forthcoming debut full-length. Hitmaking producer Alex Da Kid mans the boards, cooking up a genre-defying blend of gritty percussion, beatboxing and crunching blues riffs as the singer expresses her pent-up frustrations with a certain man (I think.) Though she “[breaks her] neck to be polite” when he’s feeling insecure, she’s become fed up with his refusal to allow her autonomy and breathing space. Suffocated as Skylar Grey may feel relationship-wise, she’s clearly calling her own shots in the musical arena. Has this rock-infused banger left you intrigued? Then keep it locked for the latest details on the singer’s freshman set, which has yet to receive either a title or a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.