Booth readers may best know Skylar Grey from her hook vocals on cuts like I Need a Doctor, Coming Home and Words I Never Said, but the Mazomanie, Wisconsin representative is much more than a pretty voice—she’s also a solo singer/songwriter with an eclectic style well worth pop-lovers’ attention. As proof, I present Dance Without You, the artist’s first feature and the inaugural buzz single off her forthcoming debut full-length. Hitmaking producer Alex Da Kid mans the boards, cooking up a genre-defying blend of gritty percussion, beatboxing and crunching blues riffs as the singer expresses her pent-up frustrations with a certain man (I think.) Though she “[breaks her] neck to be polite” when he’s feeling insecure, she’s become fed up with his refusal to allow her autonomy and breathing space. Suffocated as Skylar Grey may feel relationship-wise, she’s clearly calling her own shots in the musical arena. Has this rock-infused banger left you intrigued? Then keep it locked for the latest details on the singer’s freshman set, which has yet to receive either a title or a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/7/11
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.