Booth readers may best know Skylar Grey from her hook vocals on cuts like I Need a Doctor, Coming Home and Words I Never Said, but the Mazomanie, Wisconsin representative is much more than a pretty voice—she’s also a solo singer/songwriter with an eclectic style well worth pop-lovers’ attention. As proof, I present Dance Without You, the artist’s first feature and the inaugural buzz single off her forthcoming debut full-length. Hitmaking producer Alex Da Kid mans the boards, cooking up a genre-defying blend of gritty percussion, beatboxing and crunching blues riffs as the singer expresses her pent-up frustrations with a certain man (I think.) Though she “[breaks her] neck to be polite” when he’s feeling insecure, she’s become fed up with his refusal to allow her autonomy and breathing space. Suffocated as Skylar Grey may feel relationship-wise, she’s clearly calling her own shots in the musical arena. Has this rock-infused banger left you intrigued? Then keep it locked for the latest details on the singer’s freshman set, which has yet to receive either a title or a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Kendrick Lamar - i
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (9/19)
- 2 Chainz ft. Young Thug - Dresser (Lil Boy)
- Jennifer Lopez ft. Iggy Azalea - Booty (Remix)
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Billy Blue - Pu$$y
- Lil Dicky - Lemme Freak
- Yelawolf - Till It’s Gone
- Once Lost, a Lil Wayne Fan Finds His Faith in “Carter V”
- How to Get Your Music Posted Online: The Email Edition
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.