Booth readers may best know Skylar Grey from her hook vocals on cuts like I Need a Doctor, Coming Home and Words I Never Said, but the Mazomanie, Wisconsin representative is much more than a pretty voice—she’s also a solo singer/songwriter with an eclectic style well worth pop-lovers’ attention. As proof, I present Dance Without You, the artist’s first feature and the inaugural buzz single off her forthcoming debut full-length. Hitmaking producer Alex Da Kid mans the boards, cooking up a genre-defying blend of gritty percussion, beatboxing and crunching blues riffs as the singer expresses her pent-up frustrations with a certain man (I think.) Though she “[breaks her] neck to be polite” when he’s feeling insecure, she’s become fed up with his refusal to allow her autonomy and breathing space. Suffocated as Skylar Grey may feel relationship-wise, she’s clearly calling her own shots in the musical arena. Has this rock-infused banger left you intrigued? Then keep it locked for the latest details on the singer’s freshman set, which has yet to receive either a title or a solid release date.
Written by richard on 06/7/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Coming Home" (2010)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.