Derived from “nepheles” (cloud) and “batha” (a place where you can walk), the Portuguese word “Nefelibata” describes somebody who lives in the world of his or her dreams, caring nothing for outside judgments or societal norms. (In other words, it’s a much nicer way of calling someone a space case.) As a restlessly-creative rhymesayer named after the great blue yonder, SkyBlew fits that description to a tee, and on his latest single the Auburn, Alabama buzzmaker wears the appellation like a badge of honor. In fast-paced verses, he touts the power of his imagination, using cosmic imagery to stress the expansiveness of his artistic vision. As for the production, Sky himself says it best: “I feel like Backdraft went to heaven, sat next to God and made this beat as he sampled the angels singing.” Journeys in 1st Person, the emcee’s forthcoming joint LP with Backdraft, has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest singles and release details leading up to its eventual arrival.
Written by richard on 04/13/14
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Best/Worst Of The Week: Coolio Turns To Porn, Nicki’s Comical Booty & More
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Sean Brown - The Top
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.