Derived from “nepheles” (cloud) and “batha” (a place where you can walk), the Portuguese word “Nefelibata” describes somebody who lives in the world of his or her dreams, caring nothing for outside judgments or societal norms. (In other words, it’s a much nicer way of calling someone a space case.) As a restlessly-creative rhymesayer named after the great blue yonder, SkyBlew fits that description to a tee, and on his latest single the Auburn, Alabama buzzmaker wears the appellation like a badge of honor. In fast-paced verses, he touts the power of his imagination, using cosmic imagery to stress the expansiveness of his artistic vision. As for the production, Sky himself says it best: “I feel like Backdraft went to heaven, sat next to God and made this beat as he sampled the angels singing.” Journeys in 1st Person, the emcee’s forthcoming joint LP with Backdraft, has yet to receive a drop date, but we’ll keep you supplied with the latest singles and release details leading up to its eventual arrival.
Written by richard on 04/13/14
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.