Over the years, many in hip-hop have expressed the desire to live like a rock star (or at least to party like one) over hard-hitting, guitar-fortified beats. With Rock Starr, however, Juelz Santana and Starr of Skull Gang may have created the least rocking rock star-themed song ever – in fact, it’s actually an R&B-flavored sex jam. Over a sultry, keyboard-driven beat by the Minnesota Boys, Santana plays Bret Michaels, asking the seductive singer to be his Rock of Love. Of course, you can’t mix rock and hip-hop without a certain somebody showing up; Weezy does double-duty on the back end, accompanying himself on electric guitar as he spits his own sexed-up 16 bars - he even tops it off with an incredibly stoned-sounding solo. While the theme may be a little baffling, it definitely makes for a memorable, uniquely catchy cut. Rock Starr will be included on Skull Gang’s self-titled debut, to be released via E1/Skull Gang on the 24th.
Written by richard on 02/9/09
Submit your Rating
Skull Gang/E1 Music
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- Rap Lines That Make No Fucking Sense: The Comeback
- 1 Listen Album Review: Lupe Fiasco’s “Tetsuo & Youth” (Lupe Back)
- Inside the Conspiracy Theory World of Childish Gambino’s Music Videos
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.