Over the years, many in hip-hop have expressed the desire to live like a rock star (or at least to party like one) over hard-hitting, guitar-fortified beats. With Rock Starr, however, Juelz Santana and Starr of Skull Gang may have created the least rocking rock star-themed song ever – in fact, it’s actually an R&B-flavored sex jam. Over a sultry, keyboard-driven beat by the Minnesota Boys, Santana plays Bret Michaels, asking the seductive singer to be his Rock of Love. Of course, you can’t mix rock and hip-hop without a certain somebody showing up; Weezy does double-duty on the back end, accompanying himself on electric guitar as he spits his own sexed-up 16 bars - he even tops it off with an incredibly stoned-sounding solo. While the theme may be a little baffling, it definitely makes for a memorable, uniquely catchy cut. Rock Starr will be included on Skull Gang’s self-titled debut, to be released via E1/Skull Gang on the 24th.
Written by richard on 02/9/09
Skull Gang/E1 Music
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Big Sean - Untitled EP
- Chris Brown ft. Trey Songz - Songs on 12 Play
- Dyme-A-Duzin - Hip Hope
- Max Wonders - Questions
- ScHoolboy Q ft. Nas & BJ The Chicago Kid - Studio (Remix)
- “I’m Real”: Five Questions With Raury
- Mick Jenkins - DJBooth RapBox Freestyle
- “Google Me Bitch”: A Lyrical Album Review of Rittz’ “Next to Nothing”
- Kendrick Sued Over “Rigamortis”, Should He Pay Up? (A Sample Clearance Guide)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.