Over the years, many in hip-hop have expressed the desire to live like a rock star (or at least to party like one) over hard-hitting, guitar-fortified beats. With Rock Starr, however, Juelz Santana and Starr of Skull Gang may have created the least rocking rock star-themed song ever – in fact, it’s actually an R&B-flavored sex jam. Over a sultry, keyboard-driven beat by the Minnesota Boys, Santana plays Bret Michaels, asking the seductive singer to be his Rock of Love. Of course, you can’t mix rock and hip-hop without a certain somebody showing up; Weezy does double-duty on the back end, accompanying himself on electric guitar as he spits his own sexed-up 16 bars - he even tops it off with an incredibly stoned-sounding solo. While the theme may be a little baffling, it definitely makes for a memorable, uniquely catchy cut. Rock Starr will be included on Skull Gang’s self-titled debut, to be released via E1/Skull Gang on the 24th.
Written by richard on 02/9/09
Submit your Rating
Skull Gang/E1 Music
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.