Over the years, many in hip-hop have expressed the desire to live like a rock star (or at least to party like one) over hard-hitting, guitar-fortified beats. With Rock Starr, however, Juelz Santana and Starr of Skull Gang may have created the least rocking rock star-themed song ever – in fact, it’s actually an R&B-flavored sex jam. Over a sultry, keyboard-driven beat by the Minnesota Boys, Santana plays Bret Michaels, asking the seductive singer to be his Rock of Love. Of course, you can’t mix rock and hip-hop without a certain somebody showing up; Weezy does double-duty on the back end, accompanying himself on electric guitar as he spits his own sexed-up 16 bars - he even tops it off with an incredibly stoned-sounding solo. While the theme may be a little baffling, it definitely makes for a memorable, uniquely catchy cut. Rock Starr will be included on Skull Gang’s self-titled debut, to be released via E1/Skull Gang on the 24th.
Written by richard on 02/9/09
Skull Gang/E1 Music
This is the first song featured on DJBooth from this artist. If you would like to hear more, be sure to rate and comment!
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.