Scheduled to hit record stores and online retailers next week, Skrillex‘s debut studio album will see him linking up with a number of unusual collaborators. Hearing the EDM heavyweight link up with A$AP Rocky was wild enough, but I couldn’t even begin to imagine what he’d cook up in collaboration with rising star Chance The Rapper. Odd as the juxtaposition may sound on paper, Coast Is Clear undeniably works in practice. Those who primarily associate Skrillex with sludgy dubstep drops will be surprised by the lightfootedness of his instrumental, which pairs subtly jazzy keys and wailing brass with a barreling breakbeat. Chance’s delivery verges on crooning as he quizzes a female clubgoer on her interests, before inviting her to slip away from her friends and go back to his place. To paraphrase his ad-libbed bridge, it’s the kind of cut that makes you, “dance like it hurts to stand still.” For Coast and much more, cop Recess when it drops March 18, via OWSLA/Big Beat Records, Inc./Atlantic.
Written by richard on 03/11/14
Submit your Rating
OWSLA/Big Beat Records, Inc./Atlantic
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Wild for the Night" (2013)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.