While the foundation of Hip-Hop is usually simplified to beats and rhymes, we can’t help but to love music that incorporates all sorts of sounds and styles. While a turntable and drumbeat did justice to Rakim and Eric B, we also couldn’t get enough of the horns of All of The Lights. Skotch Davis, making his DJBooth debut today, definitely leans towards the more complex side of the spectrum on his new gem Skotchtastic. Produced by M.Will, the song intros with what sounds likes a 1970’s space cadet movie, then once the hi-hats hit and the horns blow we get a head bobbing beat which Skotch accompanies with his fast and slightly distorted flow; at some points it sounds like he recorded through a Home Alone Talkboy. With an up-tempo style and on-point flow that reminds me of a lot of Southern rappers, I couldn’t help but to bounce my shoulders along to Skotch Davis as he prepares for his project On My Grizzly: Skotch Tape 2, coming at an unscheduled point in the future.
Written by JRTheWriter on 08/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life Is Like" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.