While the foundation of Hip-Hop is usually simplified to beats and rhymes, we can’t help but to love music that incorporates all sorts of sounds and styles. While a turntable and drumbeat did justice to Rakim and Eric B, we also couldn’t get enough of the horns of All of The Lights. Skotch Davis, making his DJBooth debut today, definitely leans towards the more complex side of the spectrum on his new gem Skotchtastic. Produced by M.Will, the song intros with what sounds likes a 1970’s space cadet movie, then once the hi-hats hit and the horns blow we get a head bobbing beat which Skotch accompanies with his fast and slightly distorted flow; at some points it sounds like he recorded through a Home Alone Talkboy. With an up-tempo style and on-point flow that reminds me of a lot of Southern rappers, I couldn’t help but to bounce my shoulders along to Skotch Davis as he prepares for his project On My Grizzly: Skotch Tape 2, coming at an unscheduled point in the future.
Written by JRTheWriter on 08/2/11
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"My Life Is Like" (2013)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.