When we featured We Out Here, Nappy Roots members Skinny & Scales’ first single as a duo, many likely recognized the title of their forthcoming LP as a reference to Gen. Sherman’s promise of 40 Akerz of land to freed slaves after the Civil War. This new cut, making its world premiere here at DJBooth.net, finds the twosome relating the famous phrase to the state of our nation in ‘09—though they acknowledge that we’ve come a long way, and are glad to have Obama in office, they still can’t help but wonder, “Where’s The Mule?” While many artists have attempted to tackle the knotty political, social, and economic conflicts Americans are still trying to untangle in ‘09, Skinny & Scales have a better eye for the details than most, and the blend of real talk and biting humor they bring to the table result in a thought-provoking record that, thanks to the catchy, wistful hook and Sol Messiah‘s unconventional instrumental (featuring synth strings and… reversed electric guitar riffs?) is also a mellow, enjoyable listen. Watch for 40 Akerz to hit stores sometime this summer.
Written by richard on 03/24/09
Submit your Rating
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Omar LinX - Forgive Me
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Estonian Trap Rapper Tommy Cash is Going to Take Over the Internet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.