When we featured We Out Here, Nappy Roots members Skinny & Scales’ first single as a duo, many likely recognized the title of their forthcoming LP as a reference to Gen. Sherman’s promise of 40 Akerz of land to freed slaves after the Civil War. This new cut, making its world premiere here at DJBooth.net, finds the twosome relating the famous phrase to the state of our nation in ‘09—though they acknowledge that we’ve come a long way, and are glad to have Obama in office, they still can’t help but wonder, “Where’s The Mule?” While many artists have attempted to tackle the knotty political, social, and economic conflicts Americans are still trying to untangle in ‘09, Skinny & Scales have a better eye for the details than most, and the blend of real talk and biting humor they bring to the table result in a thought-provoking record that, thanks to the catchy, wistful hook and Sol Messiah‘s unconventional instrumental (featuring synth strings and… reversed electric guitar riffs?) is also a mellow, enjoyable listen. Watch for 40 Akerz to hit stores sometime this summer.
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Win an Exclusive Vinyl Version of De La Soul’s “Smell The Da.I.S.Y.” [CONTEST]
- DJ Drama x Don Cannon x Trendsetter Sense - The Boondocks Mixtape (Season 4)
- Mick Jenkins - Steam
- Top Hip Hop / R&B Music Chart (April 14, 2014)
- Future - Honest LP
- Nas - Illmatic XX
- Dizzy Wright - State of Mind EP
- Locksmith - A Thousand Cuts
- 25 Most Popular Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of March 2014
- The Best Hip Hop Songs & Albums of 2013!
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.