When we featured We Out Here, Nappy Roots members Skinny & Scales’ first single as a duo, many likely recognized the title of their forthcoming LP as a reference to Gen. Sherman’s promise of 40 Akerz of land to freed slaves after the Civil War. This new cut, making its world premiere here at DJBooth.net, finds the twosome relating the famous phrase to the state of our nation in ‘09—though they acknowledge that we’ve come a long way, and are glad to have Obama in office, they still can’t help but wonder, “Where’s The Mule?” While many artists have attempted to tackle the knotty political, social, and economic conflicts Americans are still trying to untangle in ‘09, Skinny & Scales have a better eye for the details than most, and the blend of real talk and biting humor they bring to the table result in a thought-provoking record that, thanks to the catchy, wistful hook and Sol Messiah‘s unconventional instrumental (featuring synth strings and… reversed electric guitar riffs?) is also a mellow, enjoyable listen. Watch for 40 Akerz to hit stores sometime this summer.
Written by richard on 03/24/09
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Statik Selektah - What Goes Around
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Top 20 Hip Hop / R&B Songs Chart (August 18, 2014)
- Lupe Fiasco Puts Ratchet Appeal With a Concept “Next To It”
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.