In a May interview with DJBooth, rapper Skillz explained the reasoning behind the creation of his current single, So Far So Good. “Hip hop is an art form, it’s a culture, and it doesn’t have to be good to any of us… I realize that I’m blessed that people wanna hear what I have to say.” From his humble beginnings nearly twelve years ago, the Detroit-born Skillz has stayed level-headed and for the most part, under the mainstream radar. Appropriately, the emcee’s chosen guest features for the remix, Common and Talib Kweli, have also experienced at times an underwhelming level of support from both a national audience and their labels. Skillz’s new studio album, Million Dollar Backpack, is currently set to drop later this month via Koch.
Written by DJ Z on 07/6/08
Submit your Rating
Big Kiidz/eOne Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Act ft. Freeway" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Epic Fail: Bobby Shmurda’s Label Cashed In & Then Bailed Out
- Open Mic: Why Rappers Need to Play Small Shows
- 1 Listen Album Review: Big Sean’s “Dark Sky Paradise”
- Could Kanye’s Rapper Reparations Idea Actually Work?
- Every Rapper is Going to Die & So Will I
- An Anti-Elitist Guide to Respecting Gucci Mane
- Breaking Down the Sordid Details of the Lil Wayne vs. Cash Money Lawsuit
- Oh My God, If Drake Dies Is He A Legend?
- Fine, You Got Me: Your Favorite Rapper’s First Tweet
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.