It’s a new year and you know what that means: champagne hangovers, resolutions that won’t last through March and another addition to Skillz yearly Rap Up series. Two years ago the Virginia emcee was pondering retiring from his annual tradition, but an outcry from rap lovers everywhere convinced him to continue and it’s a good thing; 2011 was so crazy it required some serious skills. While a mellow beat from the headliner himself, in addition to the esteemed Jazzy Jeff and Johnnie “Smurf” Smith unwinds in the background, Skillz traverses the past 365 in truly lyrical fashion. As always, the man manages to touch on both the year’s biggest events – Lebron’s “Decision”, the death of Steve Jobs, the end of the war in Iraq – but squeezes in more than a couple “oh yeah, that happened” moments while he’s at it. (Oh yeah, I do kinda remember that homeless guy with the radio voice.) While Skillz is much more than just the yearly Rap Up guy it just wouldn’t be a new year without him. We salute you Skillz…. now onto the 2012 madness!
Written by Nathan S. on 01/2/12
Submit your Rating
Big Kiidz/eOne Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Act ft. Freeway" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.