It’s a new year and you know what that means: champagne hangovers, resolutions that won’t last through March and another addition to Skillz yearly Rap Up series. Two years ago the Virginia emcee was pondering retiring from his annual tradition, but an outcry from rap lovers everywhere convinced him to continue and it’s a good thing; 2011 was so crazy it required some serious skills. While a mellow beat from the headliner himself, in addition to the esteemed Jazzy Jeff and Johnnie “Smurf” Smith unwinds in the background, Skillz traverses the past 365 in truly lyrical fashion. As always, the man manages to touch on both the year’s biggest events – Lebron’s “Decision”, the death of Steve Jobs, the end of the war in Iraq – but squeezes in more than a couple “oh yeah, that happened” moments while he’s at it. (Oh yeah, I do kinda remember that homeless guy with the radio voice.) While Skillz is much more than just the yearly Rap Up guy it just wouldn’t be a new year without him. We salute you Skillz…. now onto the 2012 madness!
Written by Nathan S. on 01/2/12
Submit your Rating
Big Kiidz/eOne Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Act ft. Freeway" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.