First off, I just want to thank Skillz for taking 30 minutes out of what I’m sure was a hectic holiday schedule to even bless us with the 2010 Rap Up. He let us know via Twitter that he wouldn’t be recording his traditional cut for 2010, but for whatever reason he broke down and gave the people what they wanted. As usual, he touches on a little bit of everything: fashion (Lady Gaga’s infamous meat dress), world news (the Haitian earthquake) and of course, Erykah Badu’s Debbie cakes. Lyrically, he never disappoints, though his delivery this time around is a bit more relaxed than we’re used to. That paired with Profound Sounds’ minimal production makes for a (w)rap up with a little less punch than usual. I could be reaching, but I interpret that as him getting tired of the whole thing. Honestly I can’t blame him. Maybe we should show him a little more love year round instead of waiting for the holidays and begging on our hands and knees for a new song. It might just bring that spark of yesteryear back.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 01/3/11
Submit your Rating
Big Kiidz/eOne Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Act ft. Freeway" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Heat Check: How Do You Feel About Drake’s “How About Now”
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (10/17)
- Freddie Gibbs x Madlib ft. Action Bronson, Joey BadA$$ & Ransom - Knicks (Remix)
- All 79 Things Chance the Rapper Hates on “No Better Blues”
- Lupe Fiasco ft. Sirah - Lilies
- ShayGray - No Sense of Accomplishment
- F*ck Norms: Why the Critics Are Wrong About Yung Lean
- Lorenzo Asher, The Director #TopProspects
- All 72 of Drakes Billboard Top 100 Songs
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.