First off, I just want to thank Skillz for taking 30 minutes out of what I’m sure was a hectic holiday schedule to even bless us with the 2010 Rap Up. He let us know via Twitter that he wouldn’t be recording his traditional cut for 2010, but for whatever reason he broke down and gave the people what they wanted. As usual, he touches on a little bit of everything: fashion (Lady Gaga’s infamous meat dress), world news (the Haitian earthquake) and of course, Erykah Badu’s Debbie cakes. Lyrically, he never disappoints, though his delivery this time around is a bit more relaxed than we’re used to. That paired with Profound Sounds’ minimal production makes for a (w)rap up with a little less punch than usual. I could be reaching, but I interpret that as him getting tired of the whole thing. Honestly I can’t blame him. Maybe we should show him a little more love year round instead of waiting for the holidays and begging on our hands and knees for a new song. It might just bring that spark of yesteryear back.
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 01/3/11
Submit your Rating
Big Kiidz/eOne Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Act ft. Freeway" (2007)
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Fast Food Music: How Our Hunger for More is Killing Hip-Hop
- Rihanna & Kanye’s “FourFiveSeconds” is a Blue Collar Anthem
- What If Drake Didn’t Sign To Young Money?
- Digging Up Your Favorite Rapper’s Hidden Internet Gems
- The Liberation of Lupe Fiasco on “Tetsuo & Youth”
- No Money, No Family: Iggy Azalea’s Insane Coming to America Story
- A Very Serious Lyrical Analysis of Lil Wayne’s “Sorry 4 The Wait 2”
- 2014 Best of the Booth Award Winners (The Complete List)
- Who Was the Worst Rapper of 2014?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.