First off, I just want to thank Skillz for taking 30 minutes out of what I’m sure was a hectic holiday schedule to even bless us with the 2010 Rap Up. He let us know via Twitter that he wouldn’t be recording his traditional cut for 2010, but for whatever reason he broke down and gave the people what they wanted. As usual, he touches on a little bit of everything: fashion (Lady Gaga’s infamous meat dress), world news (the Haitian earthquake) and of course, Erykah Badu’s Debbie cakes. Lyrically, he never disappoints, though his delivery this time around is a bit more relaxed than we’re used to. That paired with Profound Sounds’ minimal production makes for a (w)rap up with a little less punch than usual. I could be reaching, but I interpret that as him getting tired of the whole thing. Honestly I can’t blame him. Maybe we should show him a little more love year round instead of waiting for the holidays and begging on our hands and knees for a new song. It might just bring that spark of yesteryear back.
Listen to More: Skillz
Written by Jessica "Compton" Bennett on 01/3/11
Big Kiidz/eOne Music
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Don't Act ft. Freeway" (2007)
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Kanye Thinks Drake is #1 Right Now - Is He Right? (Rap Power Rankings)
- The Weeknd - King of the Fall
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Mick Jenkins, The Conscience #TopProspects
- Jeremih x Shlohmo - No More EP
- HD - BBQ Goldfish
- Drake’s New Album is Titled “Views From the 6”: Dope, Wack or Eh?
- Real Recognize Real: GoldLink on Loving Lil Bibby, Shaq & Robots
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (June 2014)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.