Skiff‘ll rock well, it ain’t Hard to Tell. Basing a record around Nasir Jones‘s immortal boast is a bold move, but the San Francisco up-and-comer easily justifies the sample selection on this freshly-minted mixtape single, delivering some of his most sophisticated bars to date. Over Brownz Beatz‘s dreamy, melodic boom-bap grooves, Skiff flexes his lyrical muscles in verses packed with alliteration and internal rhyme. Underlying his verbal pyrotechnics is an firm allegiance to the old-school, as he makes clear on the back: “By myself, turn the music up, I’m catchin’ the vibe / Thinkin’ the legends from the past—what if we kept ‘em alive?” No Healthcare in Hip Hop has yet to be assigned a title or drop date, but those feeling this single can look forward to the release of its official visuals next week.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Skiff’s JR Saint-directed Hard To Tell visual.
Written by richard on 10/3/13
All Handz On Deck
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When Did This Start" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (July 2014)
- Trizz - Reality Check
- DJBooth City Cypher #1 (ft. Emilio Rojas, Maffew Ragazino, Black Dave, HD & Kirk Knight)
- It’s Electric: An EDM Guide For the Hip-Hop Head
- Russ, The Wild Card #TopProspects
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
- Common - Nobody’s Smiling
- Real Recognize Real: Wrekonize on Pink Floyd, the Rise of TDE & More
- Bobby Shmurda is the New Worst Thing to Happen to Shmusic
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.