Skiff‘ll rock well, it ain’t Hard to Tell. Basing a record around Nasir Jones‘s immortal boast is a bold move, but the San Francisco up-and-comer easily justifies the sample selection on this freshly-minted mixtape single, delivering some of his most sophisticated bars to date. Over Brownz Beatz‘s dreamy, melodic boom-bap grooves, Skiff flexes his lyrical muscles in verses packed with alliteration and internal rhyme. Underlying his verbal pyrotechnics is an firm allegiance to the old-school, as he makes clear on the back: “By myself, turn the music up, I’m catchin’ the vibe / Thinkin’ the legends from the past—what if we kept ‘em alive?” No Healthcare in Hip Hop has yet to be assigned a title or drop date, but those feeling this single can look forward to the release of its official visuals next week.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Skiff’s JR Saint-directed Hard To Tell visual.
Written by richard on 10/3/13
All Handz On Deck
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When Did This Start" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- Cam’ron - 1st of the Month Vol. 3 EP
- Best/Worst of the Week: Andre 3000 All Day, Queen Bey Reigns & More
- Draft Day: What Label Should Your Favorite Rapper Sign To?
- DJ Blaze - Blazing Cuts (August 2014)
- Kev Decor - Swamp Ass
- “Views from All Day”: Drake, Kanye & The State of Hip-Hop Leaks
- Jeezy - Seen It All: The Autobiography
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)