Skiff‘ll rock well, it ain’t Hard to Tell. Basing a record around Nasir Jones‘s immortal boast is a bold move, but the San Francisco up-and-comer easily justifies the sample selection on this freshly-minted mixtape single, delivering some of his most sophisticated bars to date. Over Brownz Beatz‘s dreamy, melodic boom-bap grooves, Skiff flexes his lyrical muscles in verses packed with alliteration and internal rhyme. Underlying his verbal pyrotechnics is an firm allegiance to the old-school, as he makes clear on the back: “By myself, turn the music up, I’m catchin’ the vibe / Thinkin’ the legends from the past—what if we kept ‘em alive?” No Healthcare in Hip Hop has yet to be assigned a title or drop date, but those feeling this single can look forward to the release of its official visuals next week.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Skiff’s JR Saint-directed Hard To Tell visual.
Written by richard on 10/3/13
All Handz On Deck
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When Did This Start" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
Member Reviews and Ratings
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (8/22)
- Drake vs. Lil Wayne - The Hits
- Run The Jewels - Blockbuster Night (Part 1)
- T.I. ft. Skylar Grey - New National Anthem
- Interview With a “White Rapper”: Rittz on Race, Respect & Hip-Hop
- Wiz Khalifa - Blacc Hollywood
- Kanye West is Right, the Media is the Fucking Worst
- The DJBooth Top Prospects EP (Vol. 1)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
- Even More Porn Stars in Music Videos (NSFW)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.