Skiff‘ll rock well, it ain’t Hard to Tell. Basing a record around Nasir Jones‘s immortal boast is a bold move, but the San Francisco up-and-comer easily justifies the sample selection on this freshly-minted mixtape single, delivering some of his most sophisticated bars to date. Over Brownz Beatz‘s dreamy, melodic boom-bap grooves, Skiff flexes his lyrical muscles in verses packed with alliteration and internal rhyme. Underlying his verbal pyrotechnics is an firm allegiance to the old-school, as he makes clear on the back: “By myself, turn the music up, I’m catchin’ the vibe / Thinkin’ the legends from the past—what if we kept ‘em alive?” No Healthcare in Hip Hop has yet to be assigned a title or drop date, but those feeling this single can look forward to the release of its official visuals next week.
Update: Click “Watch Video” above or scroll down (for mobile) to view Skiff’s JR Saint-directed Hard To Tell visual.
Written by richard on 10/3/13
Submit your Rating
All Handz On Deck
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"When Did This Start" (2011)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Beyond the Lights: Machine Gun Kelly Learns to Act Like Himself
- Reggie Bonds - Stream of Consciousness Pt. 1
- Eminem Vs. DJ Whoo Kid - Shady Classics
- Kid Cudi Thinks Hip-Hop Is Endangered - He’s Wrong
- Tayyib Ali - Keystone State of Mind III
- 10 Must Have Hip-Hop Downloads of the Week (11/21)
- What Rappers Would You Pick for “New York vs. Everybody”?
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.