Getting excited about a snippet of a track is like getting excited about a movie trailer, it’s not a good indication of the project’s final quality (even Cop Out looked funny in the trailer), but today I’m excited to say the buzz generated by the snippet of Ski Beatz’ soulfully grooved cut Taxi was justified now that we have the full version in our speakers. Beatz, who Booth regulars might know from his production work on Fresh Daily’s Untucked Nunchucks, is making his feature debut on the Booth today with Taxi, and he’s brought along Mos Def, who finally seems re-committed to rapping, and newcomer Whosane, both of whom ride the lushly minimal beat with attention grabbing slow flows. I know the pace might be a little meandering for some, but those looking for a track to add to their “summer afternoon” playlist would be hard pressed to top it. If you’re feeling Taxi chances are you’ll love you 24 Hour Karate School, Ski Beatz’ upcoming project due out on March 30.
Written by Nathan S. on 03/16/10
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
"Scaling the Building" (2010)
Total DJ Booth Features:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- 4 Fresh Songs (& An Album) You Might Have Missed (12/15)
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: Nicki Minaj’s (Kinda Boring) “The Pinkprint”
- Mike WiLL Made-It - Ransom
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.