Fortune is a funny thing; if you’ve done enough living, you’ve likely seen friends with the most potential struggle and fail, while those who you never would’ve thought had it in them achieved success beyond their wildest dreams. On this unreleased cut, leaked along with its artist-directed video, Skewby takes a look back at the Ups and Downs he and his acquaintances have gone through over the years. Blue Ruby, a wistful instrumental originally featured on Apollo Brown‘s Clouds EP, sets the perfect mood for a trip down Memory Lane. Over the Detroit beatsmith’s dreamy synths and acoustic-guitar arpeggios, the freestyle alum describes how Greg, a drug-dealing high-roller in the artist’s graduating class, ended up stocking shelves at the local Wal Mart. Skewby can’t help but chuckle—though, as someone who spent his own high-school years so broke he had to sweet-talk girls into buying him “hashbrowns and pizza” when he was broke, he can hardly criticize how another man gets his paper. Chorus scratches come courtesy of FreeSol member DJ Charlie White, who samples a line from Murphy Lee‘s What Da Hook Gon Be. This joint is unattached to any forthcoming project, but fans can keep it locked for all the latest from the talented up-and-comer.
Written by richard on 01/25/12
Submit your Rating
First DJ Booth Appearance:
You Might Like...
Commentsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Billion Dollars in an Elevator: The Definitive 2014 Hip-Hop Timeline
- DJBooth Announces Our New Top Prospects…
- All 93 People Named on J. Cole’s “Note To Self” Outro
- Indie Savage: Crooked I Gets Physical With “Sex, Money & Hip-Hop”
- The Hip-Hop Albums I Need to Hear in 2015
- Meet Fanesha Fabre, the Voice Behind the “La Musica De Harry Fraud” Drop
- 1 Listen Album Review: J. Cole’s “2014 Forest Hills Drive” (aka F*cking Up Hip-Hop)
- The Most Sampled Rapper Voices in Hip-Hop History
- Your Favorite Indie Rapper is Secretly Signed to a Major Label
- The DJBooth - Top Prospects EP (Vol. 2)
- The Best Hip-Hop & R&B Songs of 2014 (Ongoing)
Discover the best new songs, videos, and albums added to the Booth.